NSW Central West - Day 1

I began my trip by heading off to Orange with an early morning departure out of a gray and drizzly Sydney Central. I hadn’t been on an XPT since the early 90s, so the train nerd inside me was quite excited to be boarding one again before they’re retired in a few years.

They’re certainly showing their age and squeak and creak a bit but it’s a fairly comfortable and scenic way to travel with plenty of legroom and space to move around.


One downside is that there aren’t any mod-cons to speak of - no WiFi, no USB power, not even proper coffee from the buffet: just hot water and a coffee bag! The choice between first class and economy is also really just a choice between good legroom and slightly more legroom - the seats are the same and there’s no additional service or food included.


After picking up the rental car, I headed for Mount Canobolas - the highest peak in the Central West. Unfortunately, the hiking wasn't as nice as I'd hoped and the view from the top was obfuscated. The summit trail linked the peaks of Young and Old Man Canobolas but neither offered clear views of the surrounding country. I wasn’t really enjoying the tracks, so after going out and back on the summit trail, I moved on.

I fared considerably better at the next stop, Towac Pinnacle. A short walk up a hill lead to a lookout perched on a large boulder. It wasn't nearly as high but it offered unobstructed views of the countryside around Orange, along with a nice look at Mount Canobolas.

 

Verdant view from Towac Pinnacle

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Change the ComputerName value in Unattend.xml using PowerShell

Testing out Link Aggregation

Xbox 360 Exclusive JRPGs on Xbox One